Thursday 11 February 2016

Cracking 'stacking' for my WWII rules

Last night's game left me with some thinking to do about the interaction of stacking, facing and how both support and full sections could be represented - a lot to consider. I knew that my current basing convention was not going to work - doh!. Then it came to me; half the base sizes of full squads to accommodate support weapons. So, here's the blessed rebasing process with some basic troops first.

I really liked ASL's way of allocating a suitable ratio of support weapons for each nationality to add the appropriate flavour and wanted to reflect this on the table. In ASL each squad/section could use up to two support weapons each. Using a square grid allows a little geometric thinking to accommodate this...

As the next picture shows, the number of configurations and facings that can be made with this basing approach allows the player a lot of tactical options.

In terms of stacking, this basing approach naturally creates a maximum capacity that a grid can accommodate, which leaves the player to think about the tactical situation, rather than 'how do I recognize the density of figures in this space?'

The next problem of representing overcrowding came to me quickly. Previously I was having an attack affecting all units in a square at the same time. This started to unravel when a single section 'interacted' in a firefight with more than one unit in an attacked square. Then the solution came to me...add the potential for additional hits on the targeted unit; for me, this represents my black dice which has only 'hits' on their facings. Now an extra black dice is added to an attack for each extra infantry section, and a black dice for each pair of extra support sections.

Back to playtesting!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment